I recommend the 2010 movie "Even the Rain". I watched it a couple of months ago and I was moved. It talks about the (infamous) privatization of water attempted in Cochabamba, Bolivia. The movie also draws very interesting (but subtle) parallels between privatization and colonialism, as it depicts the filming of a movie about the Spanish Conquista as a background.
You can watch it free through cuevana:
http://www.cuevana.tv/peliculas/3750/tambien-la-lluvia-even-the-rain/
Patrick thanks a lot for sharing this with the rest of us! Is such a moving film really. I'm almost speechless.
ReplyDeleteSo you say the scenes of riots in the city are the originals from those days of manifestation?
I thought that the analogy between gold and water was very well done. When the actors were rehearsing the script that told the story of the conquistadores, you could almost replace the word 'gold' for that of 'water' and be brought back to modernity; to the new fights and struggles of the indigenous populations of America Latina.
Could you perhaps tell me a little bit more of was has happened in the legal side since this riots? Was the law for privatization withdrew?
Thanks again.
Laura
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkFJE8ZdeG8
ReplyDeleteHey Patrick, if you are not familiar with "Latinoamerica" of Calle 13, you might want to have a quick look at this link. This song is becoming a latinamerican symbol and has a lot of relevance to this discussion on privatization.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJAq4jurD_c&feature=player_embedded
ReplyDelete