Genetic modification of rice runs the gamut from increased Vitamin A potency to drought resistance to reduced fertilizer requirements. Yet, like most genetically modified (GM) products, GM rice is surrounded by contentious debate. But who controls the debate? What are the prevalent discourses surrounding GM rice, who shapes them, what may their motives be (be they political, economic or social), and what influence does this have on continued policy, science and funding in this field? Furthermore, how accurately does public discourse and media portrayal reflect the realities of the science? Through my research I hope to ascertain the prevalent discourses surrounding GM rice and analyze why they are framed in this way and how this affects continued research and development. I am particularly interested on whether arguments against GM rice are rooted in protection of social health, local economies or of biological environments, and to what extent these reflect scientific information. Similarly, I hope to distinguish between arguments surrounding GM products designed for international development and aid, and those intended for introduction into national markets.
As for methodology, I intend to implement a three-pronged attack. I have compiled a selection of pro- and anti-GM newspapers, magazines, NGOs and corporations, which are intended to be as varied and as balanced portrayal as possible.
First, I will undertake a Thematic Analysis, reading through articles from each publication and noting how each addresses my ‘key themes’ surrounding the issue; science, politics, economics, biological nature, and poverty/development. I plan to pay attention to the motivations of each publication, NGO, corporation and so on and so forth, as this will likely bear influence on how they choose to frame particular facets of the debate.
Second, I plan to complete a Corpus Linguistic Analysis, using online data analysis software to analyze the documents for key terms and phrases. For example, in a discourse analysis of the GM debate in British media, Cook, Robbins and Pieri find that terms such as “Frankenfood” are actually used more by pro-GM publications as a means of framing anti-GM works. Through this method I hope add another dimension to my thematic analysis by compiling hard data reflecting the primary themes and ideas within the discourse.
Finally, I intend to conduct interviews with individuals in the field. Thus far individuals that I have contacted or plan to contact for interviews are:
- Jane Langdale – (having some trouble as she is on holiday most of the break – might not work out!)
- Mark Lynus
- Pam Ronald – UC Davis
- Prof. Larry Grill – Claremont McKenna College, GM patent holder and an opinionated pro-GM member of the debate
I hope to extend my interview pool over the research period, including heads of local movements, NGOs and corporations, particularly for anti-GM counterparts.
Initial Primary Texts
Anderson, Kym, Lee Ann Jackson, and Chantal Nielson. "Genetically Modified Rice Adoption: Implications for Welfare and Poverty Alleviation." Journal of Economic Integration 20.4 (2005). Print.
Cook, G. ""Words of Mass Destruction": British Newspaper Coverage of the Genetically Modified Food Debate, Expert and Non-expert Reactions." Public Understanding of Science 15.1 (2006): 5-29. Print.
Enserink, M. "Tough Lessons From Golden Rice." Science 320.5875 (2008): 468-71. Print.
Krawinkel, Michael B. "What We Know and Don't Know about Golden Rice." Nature Biotechnology 25.6 (2007): 623. Print.
Kuiper, Harry A., Gijs A. Kleter, Hub P. J. M. Noteborn, and Esther J. Kok. "Assessment of the Food Safety Issues Related to Genetically Modified Foods." The Plant Journal 27.6 (2001): 503-28. Print.
Lu, Bao-Rong, and Allison A. Snow. "Gene Flow from Genetically Modified Rice and Its Environmental Consequences." BioScience 55.8 (2005): 669. Print.
Lusk, Jayson L. "Effects of Cheap Talk on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Golden Rice." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 85.4 (2003): 840-56. Print.
Mayer, Jorge E. "The Golden Rice Controversy: Useless Science or Unfounded Criticism?" BioScience 55.9 (2005): 726. Print.
Potrykus, Ingo. "Golden Rice and Beyond." Plant Physiology. Plant Physiology. Web. <http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/125/3/1157>.
Potrykus, Ingo. "The ‘Golden Rice’ Tale." In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology - Plant 37.2 (2001): 93-100. Print.
Schroder, M., M. Poulsen, A. Wilcks, S. Kroghsbo, A. Miller, T. Frenzel, J. Danier, M. Rychlik, K. Emami, and A. Gatehouse. "A 90-day Safety Study of Genetically Modified Rice Expressing Cry1Ab Protein (Bacillus Thuringiensis Toxin) in Wistar Rats." Food and Chemical Toxicology 45.3 (2007): 339-49. Print.
Stein, Alexander J., H.P.S. Sachdev, and Matin Qaim. "Potential Impact and Cost-effectiveness of Golden Rice." Nature Biotechnology 24.10 (2006): 1200-201. Print.
Yates, Simeon, Stephanie Taylor, and Margaret Wetherell. Discourse as Data: a Guide for Analysis. London: SAGE, 2001. Print.
Zimmermann, R. "Potential Health Benefits of Golden Rice: a Philippine Case Study." Food Policy 29.2 (2004): 147-68. Print.
Since we discussed this on skype I wont post comments here especially as you were changing the paper some. But for what it is worth this is a good outline. Diana
ReplyDelete